Please forgive the slight inconvenience in creating a new account. Due to juvenile delinquents spamming garbage to the site, we had to install a "Captcha", which can differentiate a spam bot from a human. Once you open your account, confirm it by returning the email, and identifying yourself, we will give you edit privileges. Just request them by leaving a message at click here.

Gerry E. Hinton

From English WikiChiro
Jump to: navigation, search
Gerry Earl Hinton

Louisiana Louisiana State Senator from District 11 (St. Tammany and Tangipahoa parishes)
In office
1984 – 1996
Preceded by W.E. "Bill" Dykes
Succeeded by Tom Schedler

Member, Slidell, Louisiana City Council
In office
1968 – 1984

Born June 30, 1930(1930-06-30)
Mississippi Columbia, Mississippi
Marion County, Mississippi, Mississippi, United States
Died July 2, 2000 (aged 70)
United States Slidell, Louisiana
St. Tammany Parish, Louisiana
Political party Republican Party (United States)
Spouse(s) Alice Jayne Glaser Hinton
Children Glynn Earl Hinton

Jill Hinton Lashouto

Alma mater Slidell High School

Southeastern Louisiana University
Texas Chiropractic College

Occupation Chiropractor
Religion Baptist

Gerry Earl Hinton (June 30, 1930 – July 2, 2000)[1] was a pioneer in the chiropractic profession from Slidell, Louisiana, and served from 1984 to 1996 as a member of the Louisiana State Legislature from District 11 (suburban New Orleans: St. Tammany Parish|St. Tammany and Tangipahoa Parish parishes). He was elected as a Democratic Party (United States) in 1983, but switched parties and won as a Republican Party (United States) in the nonpartisan blanket primaries of 1987 and 1991. He did not seek a fourth term in the 1995 primary and was succeeded by fellow Republican Tom Schedler of Slidell.[2].

Prior to his Senate tenure, Dr. Hinton was among a dozen doctors who worked for passage of the state's chiropractic licensing act.[3] Louisiana was the last of the fifty states to pass a chiropractic licensing act.[3] Hinton was at the ceremony in 1974, when then Governor of Louisiana Edwin Washington Edwards signed the legislation. Hinton then served for nine years as a member of the Louisiana Board of Chiropractic Examiners and in 1984, the year his Senate tenure began, was designated "Chiropractor of the Year" by his peers.[3]

Senator Hinton was a member of the Labor/Industrial Relations Committee, and the chairman of the Senate Health and Welfare Committee. He was instrumental in helping ensure chiropractic inclusion in health maintenance organizations and the Medicaid program.[3]

In his first election as a Republican on October 24, 1987, Hinton polled 26,178 votes (61.9 percent). Three opponents, another Republican, a Democrat, and a "No Party" candidate, shared the remaining 38.1 percent of the ballots.[4] In the primary held on October 19, 1991, Hinton defeated two Democratic challengers, having received 19,938 votes (55.8 percent).[5]

Hinton was a native of Columbia, Mississippi in Marion County, Mississippi in southwestern Mississippi.[6] He graduated from Slidell High School and served in the United States Army in the Korean War. He received his bachelor's degree from Southeastern Louisiana University in Hammond, Louisiana in Tangipahoa Parish. He received his chiropractor credentials from Texas Chiropractic College in Pasadena, Texas near Houston, Texas.[7]

Long involved in community affairs, Hinton was a member of the Junior Chamber International, the American Legion, and the Benevolent and Protective Order of the Elks lodge. He was a member of the First Baptist Church of Slidell.[6] Prior to his state Senate service, Hinton served for sixteen years on the Slidell City Council.[3] Tom Schedler also began his political career on the city council.

Hinton continued his medical practice until lung cancer took its toll on his health. He died at his home in Slidell two days after his seventieth birthday. He was survived by his wife, the former Alice Jayne Glaser (born February 13, 1934), a son, Glynn Earl Hinton (born ca. 1960),[8] and a daughter, Jill Hinton Lashouto.[3] Interment was at Forest Lawn Cemetery in Slidell.[6]

At the time of Dr. Hinton's death, flags were flown at half-staff in Slidell. Then Slidell Mayor Sam Caruso said that Hinton "did more for this city and area than most people know. As a senator, he was responsible for millions in state dollars spent on Slidell projects."[3]


Preceded by
W.E. "Bill" Dykes
Louisiana State Legislature
Succeeded by
Tom Schedler