Michael A. Sabia, Jr.
|Dr. Michael A. Sabia, Jr.|
Michael A. Sabia,Jr. DC, M.Ed., CCSP, DABCO, FACO
|Born||February 2, 1936|
Jersey City, NJ
|Alma mater||Chiropractic Institute of New York, 1957|
|Occupation||Chiropractic Physician Team Doctor|
|Years active||1960's- Present|
|Home town||Little Silver, NJ|
|Known for||Olympic DC, Seoul Korea, and Inventor of the "Enswell".|
Mike Sabia, DC, CCSP, M.Ed. DABCO, FACO, born Feb, 2, 1936, in Jersey City, NJ, is a second generation Chiropractor. He graduated from the Chiropractic Institute of New York in 1957. Dr. Sabia practiced for most of his career in Little Silver, and Red Bank, NJ. He is notable for having been the inventor of the "Enswell" , a device which is nearly universally used by cut men in boxing matches; and for the "Sabia Soliometer" , a device used for measurement of scoliotic curvature. He was also named Doctor of the Year by TheRing magazine.  and for having served as Olympic team Doctor for the South Korean Boxing team in the Olympic Games held there in 1988. In 1985 he treated the famous Jockey, Donald Miller,  who went on that afternoon, riding "Believe the Queen", to win one of the richest stakes races at Monmouth Park history. In 2008 Dr. Michael A. Sabia of Red Bank, N.J., was appointed by the Governor of New Jersey to the New Jersey State Athletic Control Commission.
Dr. Sabia performed more than 6,000 pre-and post-fight ringside physicals for various boxing matches, attended more than 5,000 rounds of professional boxing matches and been ringside for 25 world championship fights, and was the traveling physician for the Ohio State wrestling team from 1988-2006.
Patents and Trademarks Issued
- Enswell Trademark No. 75111320 
- Enswell FDA Approval 1983, # K831899
- Sabia's Scoliometer Patent Number 4846194 
- Staff Writer (June 3, 2008). "News in Brief". Dynamic Chiropractic. Dynamic Chiropractic (Archived Site). http://www.dynamicchiropractic.com/mpacms/dc/article.php?id=53248. Retrieved 2/252012.
- "Article about NJ Boxing Hall of Fame inductees for 2008". Website. Brick City Boxing. 4/02008. http://www.brickcityboxing.com/index.php/a/2008/04/02/p2299#more2299. Retrieved 2/252012.
- "US Patent Listings". http://www.google.com/patents?id=HiQ3AAAAEBAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=ininventor:Michael+ininventor:Sabia+ininventor:A&hl=en&sa=X&ei=lxdMT9beF8fs0gGx6ujuDQ&ved=0CDQQ6AEwAA. Retrieved 2/27/2012.
- Staff. "IAOCO Gold member list". International Academy of Olympic Chiropractic Officers. http://iaoco.org/membership/gold-members.html. Retrieved 2/17/2012.
- Sabia, Jr., Michael A. (May/June 1985), "A Case Study in Sports Injury", The Digest of Chiropractic Economics: 134
- Staff Wire reports (Aug 13, 1981). "Walcott Questions Collins Credentials" (in English). Spartansburg Herald (Spartansburg, SC: Spartansburg Herald): pp. C1. http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1876&dat=19810813&id=vKMeAAAAIBAJ&sjid=vs0EAAAAIBAJ&pg=6668,2363048.
- "NJ Boxing Hall of Fame". Website. NJ Boxing hall of Fame. http://www.njboxinghof.org/cgi-bin/henrylist.pl?P-S. Retrieved 2/252012.
- "US Trademark Listings". http://www.trademarkia.com/enswell-75111320.html. Retrieved 2/27/2012.
- "US FDA Approvals". http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfPMN/pmn.cfm?ID=57562. Retrieved 2/27/2012.