Please forgive the slight inconvenience in creating a new account. Due to juvenile delinquents spamming garbage to the site, we had to install a "Captcha", which can differentiate a spam bot from a human. Once you open your account, confirm it by returning the email, and identifying yourself, we will give you edit privileges. Just request them by leaving a message at click here.
Dr. Stephen J. Press
Stephen J Press, DC, CCSP, FACSM, FICC, ICSSD is an American chiropractor. He was born in 1947 to Howard and Renée Press (née Graf) in Bronx, New York. Dr. Press is 2nd Cousin to Calvin Klein , and descendant of the composer Jacques Offenbach .
He founded the International Federation of Sports Chiropractic, and the International Academy of Olympic Chiropractic Officers , and was appointed by the Chairman of the USSR State Sports Committee to serve as Chief Physician  for the XVI Winter Olympic Games, in Albertville, France. In 1990, the Board of directors of the International Federation of Sports Chiropractic, awarded him the "FICS Gold Medal", "the highest award the profession can give to a Sports Chiropractor, Internationally". 
Dr. Press received his Bachelors Degree in biology from Thomas Edison State College   and obtained his Doctor of Chiropractic degree from Palmer College of Chiropractic in 1978.  He obtained his Certified Chiropractic Sports Physician certification  and became the only Chiropractor to be named Fellow of the American College of Sports Medicine in 1983.  Then in 1981 he went to the UK to participate in the "Team Physician's course" of the International Federation of Sports Medicine, (FIMS) .
In 1970 he joined the City of Englewood, NJ Auxiliary Police, and was named Chief  under then Mayor Walter Taylor in 1977. He was simultaneously a member of the Englewood Volunteer Ambulance Corps,  until he left to finish Chiropractic school. In 1982, Dr. Press ran unsuccessfully for Councilman-at-large, losing to Eddie Haden, Esq., the running mate of Congressman Steve Rothman, who was elected Mayor, in the City of Englewood .
1988 - He lead a delegation of chiropractors to Annaba, Algeria to provide services at the African Championships in Athletics   Later in the same year he took a group of chiropractors to Moscow, to study at the Russian State University of Physical Education, Sport and Tourism (RSUPES&T).   While in Moscow, Dr. Press was asked to treat the (now) two-time Olympic Gold medal figure skaterYekaterina Gordeeva. 
1991 - Together with the Chief Neurologist of Moscow, Dr. Anatoly Fedin, he opened the Soviet-American Chiropractic Center at the 2000 bed Pirogov Institute. Together they created the "Faculty of Chiropractic" at the facility.  
At a meeting in Washington, DC, Dr. Press was unanimously elected to the office of Secretary-general of the World Fitness Federation,   which sent a delegation to the World Health Organization later that year.
Invited by the Venezuelan government at the auspices of Dr. Luis Valera, of Caracas, Dr. Press was asked to speak at the Headquarters of the Venezuelan National Guard, called EFOFAC, to a delegation of the medical corps of the armed Forces of Venezuela, as well as to the Medical Corps of MARAVEN the National Petroleum Company. During the trip, he met with the Sports Minister of Venezuela, Sra. Flor Isava-Fonseca, and discussed the future recognition of the International Federation of Sports Chiropractic, by the IOC.   
1992 - He was appointed by Nicholai Ivanovich Rusak, Chairman, State Sports Committee of the USSR, to the post of Chief Physician of the USSR Winter Olympic team, then known as the Unified Team. XVIth Winter Olympic Games, Albertville, France.   . This is notable for two main reasons: a.- that an American Chiropractic Doctor was chosen as Chief physician for the USSR; and b.- that as a result of the dissolution of the USSR, he was a Doctor serving 6 Countries  in one Olympic games.
1993 - Dr. Press served as Team Physician for the US National Tae Kwon Do Team, the World Tae Kwon Do championships, held at Madison Square Garden in New York City. During the games he treated athletes from Nigeria, Uzbekistan, Ukraine, Ireland, Israel, Egypt, Russia, and Jordan among others. One of his patients, American fly weight Hyon Lee
 , won a Bronze Medal with a fracture of the metacarpal. While at the stadium, he met with H. E. Un-Yong Kim, President, and Founder  of the World Taekwondo Federation. 
1998 - Dr. Press was appointed by the Board of the IOC and ARISF  "recognized" International Roller Sports Federation to Chair their "Sport Science Commission" (previously called the Medical Commission).  
1999 - As Chairman of the FIRS medical commission, Dr. Press was invited to Lausanne, Switzerland to participate as a member of their delegation in the Declaration of Lausanne, which created the World Anti-Doping Agency.  
2000 - Dr. Press was co-opted by H.E., Kirsan Ilyumzhinov, Pres. of the Republic of Kalmykia, and of FIDE (World Chess Federation) to create their new Medical Commission (in the post of Vice-Chairman).    On the untimely death of Chairman, Pedro Barrera, MD , he became "Acting Chairman", until the post was assumed by Jana Bellin, MD. the entire concept of requiring Doping tests in Chess became a cause celebre, and was covered in the media.  
2008 - After the Rita/Katrina disaster, Dr. Press volunteered for deployment to the disaster area through the Medical Reserve Corps of the US Public Health Service, and was sent to a shelter in Big Sandy, TX, where he served as shelter physician, running a team of LPN's, RN's and EMT's for over 800 refugees.   
Dr. Press has appeared as a guest authority in his profession on US television    and Radio   on numerous occasions. He has lectured on Chiropractic subjects, in Mexico  ,Turkey, Russia, Algeria, France  , and Venezuela, and in several states of the US. He was a lecturer at the United States Olympic Academy XI, at Indiana University, in 1987 , among many others.
- Press, S. (Jan 1987). "A REPORT OF CLIN. APPL. OF COMPUTERS IN ANALYSIS OF GAIT-SPINAL IMBALANCES". Chiropractic Sports Medicine (Baltimore, MD: Williams & Wilkins) 1 (1): 29-32. http://www.chiroindex.org/.
- Press, S; O'Brien & Sawa (1987). "The role of chiropractic in athletic injuries and sports science". Copyright: FICS Position Paper (Englewood, NJ: FICS) (1). http://books.google.com/books?id=5pACHAAACAAJ&source=gbs_navlinks_s.
- Press, S. (1988). FICS' Field Doctor's Guide, 1st ed.. Englewood, NJ: FICS publications.
- Press, S. (May/June 1989). "What is FICS?". ICA Review (Wash. D.C.: International Chiropractors Association): 26-7.
- Press, S. (24th May, 1990), L'emploi des instruments pour mésurer différents facteurs de la bioméchanique humaine en cabinet de chiropractie, Congress of European Chiropractic Union, Avignon, France
- Press, S. (October 1995), "Copyright: A 'PRESS' Release", Centenario Chiropractica (Genoa, Italy: Assoziazione Italiana Chiropractici) 3 (2): 75–83
- Press, S. (Nov-Dec 1998). "Defining "Chiropractic" Around the World". The American Chiropractor (Fort Wayne, IN: The American Chiropractor Magazine) 20 (6): 45. </ref>
- Press, S. (September, 2001). "Fédération Internationale des Échecs Recognized by the International Olympic Committee". Chess Life (Lausanne, Switzerland: FIDE): 47-8.
- Press, S (2004). Passion, Profession and Politics. Conshocken, PA: Infiniti Publishing Co.. ISBN 0741422131, 9780741422132. http://books.google.com/books?id=cOCLpOJ85IUC&dq=Federation++INternationale+de++Chiropratique+du+Sports&lr=&source=gbs_navlinks_s.
- Press, S. (2004). The Offenbachs of Cologne: Vols 1-4. Englewood, NJ: Self @ Lulu.com Publishing.
- Press, S. (2004). The Sodells of Odessa & Press' of Kaunas. Englewood, NJ: Self @ Lulu.com Publishing.
- Press, S. (2004). The Grafs of Bukovina. Englewood, NJ: Self @ Lulu.com Publishing.
- Staff (January 19, 2005). "Author Press will discuss his new book". Northern valley Suburbanite: 37.
- "Gold Members". http://www.iaoco.org. Retrieved Nov 20, 2009.
- "Letter from Chrmn, USSR Sports Committee to Hon. Geo. H. W. Bush". http://www.drpress.com/Documents/CCCP.pdf. Retrieved Nov. 20, 2009.
- Staff (Aug 1, 1990). "FICS Awards Gold Medal To Dr. Press". Dynamic Chiropractic 8 (16): 1.
- "Thomas Edison Alumni". http://www.tesc.edu/878.php. Retrieved Nov. 20, 2009.
- "BA Diploma". http://www.drpress.com/Documents/TEdisonDipl.pdf. Retrieved Nov. 20, 2009.
- "DC Diploma". http://www.drpress.com/Documents/PALMER-DC.PDF. Retrieved Nov. 22, 2009.
- "CCSP Diploma". http://www.drpress.com/Documents/CCSP.PDF. Retrieved Nov. 22, 2009.
- Staff (March 5, 2008). "Doctor Named to board of Sports Chiropractic Commission". Northern Valley Suburbanite: S9.
- "FACSM Diploma". http://www.drpress.com/Documents/acsm-fellow.PDF. Retrieved Nov. 22, 2009.
- "BASM Diploma". http://www.drpress.com/Documents/fims-basm.PDF. Retrieved Nov. 22, 2009.
- Staff (Jan. 1, 2001). "Dr. Press Contends that DCs Should Direct Anti-Doping Programs". Dynamic Chiropractic, Vol. 19, Issue 01 (2nd article). http://www.chiroweb.com/mpacms/dc/article.php?id=17849.
- Staff (2004). Archived FICS Website. http://web.archive.org/web/20040318043829/http://www.fics-online.org/sider/main/general/ma_ge_2.html.
- Staff (July 24, 2000). "Dr. Press Named to Medical Commission of Int'l Chess Federation". Dynamic Chiropractic,Vol. 18, Issue 16. http://www.chiroweb.com/mpacms/dc/article.php?id=31815.
- James, Valerie (Dec. 6, 1988). "Treating the Agony of Defeat". Bergen Record / North Jersey Media Group: p. 1-Lifestyle Section.
- Staff (October 15, 1988). "Global Reports". Dynamic Chiropractic 6 (21): 34.
- Press, S (May-June 1989). "What is FICS". ICA Review: 26-27.
- Staff (July 15, 1989). "FICS in Soviet Union". Dynamic Chiropractic 7 (14): 12-13.
- "RSUPES&T". http://foreign.sportedu.ru/. Retrieved November 22, 2009.
- Celizic, Mike (Feb. 13, 1990). "Cracking a Barrier". North Jersey Media Group, Bergen Record Sport Section: 1.
- Staff (Aug 16, 1991). "Soviet Medical School to Offer Chropractic Degree". Dynamic Chiropractic 9 (17). http://www.chiroweb.com/mpacms/dc/article.php?id=44513.
- Rabin, P (August 3, 1991). "No Problems back in the USSR". Northern Valley Suburbanite: 3.
- "WFF Website". http://www.wff.org. Retrieved Nov 22, 2009.
- Staff. "New International Fitness Federation Involves Chiropractic". Dynamic Chiropractic 9 (10): 35. http://www.chiroweb.com/mpacms/dc/article.php?id=44291.
- Staff (July 5, 1991). "FICS' Mission to Venezuela". Dynamic Chiropractic 9 (14): 5. http://www.chiroweb.com/mpacms/dc/article.php?id=44357.
- "Aerial view / photos of EFOFAC". http://www.panoramio.com/photo/14655026. Retrieved Nov. 22, 2009.
- Staff (Apr. 4, 1991). "Seminario Magistral". El Universal (Caracas, Venezuela).
- Staff (Nov. 22, 1991). "DC to Direct Services for Soviet Medical Team". Dynamic Chiropractic, Vol. 09, Issue 24. http://www.chiroweb.com/mpacms/dc/article.php?id=31815.
- "Letter from USSR Sport Min. Rusak to Pres. George H.W. Bush". http://www.drpress.com/Documents/CCCP.pdf. Retrieved November 22, 2009.
- Wardwell, Walter (1992). History and Evolution of a New Profession. Mosby Yearbook. p. 205. ISBN 9780801668838.
- "Olympic Weblog". http://www.swifterhigher.com/2008/06/nations-that-competed-under-th.php#more. Retrieved November 22, 2009.
- "TKD Championships results". http://www.lacancha.com/wtkdresults.html#New%20York%2093. Retrieved Nov 22, 2009.
- "Site honoring Kim". https://www.ourams.com/expo/hof.cfm. Retrieved Nov 22, 2009.
- Staff (Nov 19, 1993). "Chiropractic Goes to the Garden". Dynamic Chiropractic 11 (24): 22.
- "ARISF Website (list)". http://arisf.wordpress.com/32-ioc-recognised-sports/. Retrieved Nov 22, 2009.
- "FIRS website". http://www.rollersports.org/default.asp?load=79756913A001. Retrieved Nov 22, 2009.
- Staff (2000). "Press Dedicated to Advancement of Roller Sports". USA Roller Skating X (9): 11,12.
- "Letter from FIRS' Pres. Oliveras". http://drpress.com/Documents/Oliveras-ltr.pdf. Retrieved Nov 22, 2009.
- Staff (June 15, 1998). "DC Heads Medical Commission of Int'l Roller Skating Federation". Dynamic Chiropractic, Vol. 16, Issue 13. http://www.chiroweb.com/mpacms/dc/article.php?id=37281.
- Staff (Feb. 4, 1999). "Lausanne Declaration on Doping in Sport". sportunterricht.de,. http://www.sportunterricht.de/lksport/Declaration_e.html.
- "Attendee Badge, Lausanne Conference". http://www.drpress.com/Documents/Lausanne_1999.pdf. Retrieved Nov. 22, 2009.
- Staff (2000). "FIDE Medical Commission". FIDE Forum XIV (2): 6,7.
- Staff (Jul. 24, 2000). "Dr. Press Named to Medical Commission of Int'l Chess Federation". Dynamic Chiropractic, Vol. 18, Issue 16. http://www.chiroweb.com/mpacms/dc/article.php?id=31815.
- "Archived FIDE Website (bottom of pg)". http://web.archive.org/web/20010420161837/www.fide.com/cgi-bin/federations.pl?commissions=1.
- "Online Obit". http://www.anusha.com/barrera.htm. Retrieved Nov 22, 2009.
- "Drug Use in Intellectual Sports". Chessville. http://www.chessville.com/Editorials/DrugUseinIntellectualSports.htm. Retrieved Nov 22, 2009.
- Staff (August 16, 2001). "Dope-fiend Grandmasters, beware! Chessplayers face drug testing". NY Post: pp. 5.
- Staff (August 13, 2001). "Chess kings yield & order drug tests". daily News (Express): pp. 2.
- Magyar, Melissa (November 2, 2005). "Press used vacation to aid Katrina Victims". Northern valley Suburbanite: pp. 34.
- Butler, Patrick (October 5, 2005). "Big Sandy Shelter Workers Bring Comfort, Support To Those In Need". Tyler Morning Telegraph: pp. 1B.
- INTERVIEW WITH DR. PRESS (et al). (June 18-24, 1988). Pumping Death. [FOXNY]. NYC: TV Guide (Page A-145).
- INTERVIEW WITH DR. PRESS. (August 18, 1983). Straight Talk. [TV]. Newark, NJ: WOR-TV.
- INTERVIEW WITH DR. PRESS. (1979). AM Quad Cities. [TV]. Davenport, IA: WOC-TV.
- Adams, N: INTERVIEW WITH DR. PRESS. (August 13, 2001). All Things Considered. [AM Radio]. National Public Radio.
- INTERVIEW WITH DR. PRESS. (Feb 28, 1984). Access Bergen County. [radio]. 89.1FM.
- Staff (Mar 6, 1988). "Assemblea de la Federacion de Quiropractica Deportiva". El Heraldo (Pg 6E).
- Staff (6th Mar. 1988). "Las Resultados de la Quiropractica se Discutieron en la I Assemblea que Tuvo Lugar en la Ciudad de Mexico". El Excelsior (Mexico City) Pg.1 Sect. B.
- Moscatelli, Karen (March 28, 1990). "European Chiropractors' Union". Dynamic Chiropractic 8 (7). http://www.chiroweb.com/mpacms/dc/article.php?id=45159.
- Press, Dr. Stephen; Association Française Nationale de Chiropractie (Feb 1992). "Press Conference, Agence France Presse; with Dr. S. Press". Press Center, Olympic Village, Albertville, France.
- Staff (June 17-20, 1987). "Proceedings of the United States Olympic Academy XI, Indianapolis, IN". USOC Publication: 246-252.